Thursday, January 02, 2020

Trust Your Wisdom, 2020


Happy New Year, my friends!

How would you describe 2019 with one word followed
by another intended for 2020?


[ Change, 2019 ]

2019 caught me off guard by becoming the year of change.
The first half of the year was filled with fear, loss, and uncertainty.
I had a hard time finding my way on shifting grounds to stay the course.

As the space around was in flux,
I learned to trust my wisdom and listen to her whispers - 

we must change... in order to grow.


[ Growth, 2020 ]

I want to continue to grow in 2020.
Thankfully, I got a head start in 2019.

Here are some highlights with wisdom by Rumi:

[ Old Masters Anew ]


"Let the beauty of what you love be what you do." - Rumi

Hello Kitty, the Patron Saint of Cute turned 45 years old in 2019.

With an invitation to participate in her official anniversary exhibition,
I gave myself the task to paint like an old master from 17th century, Japan -

Ito Jakuchu.


Learning how to paint from a 300-year-old master in Nihonga,
traditional Japanese art was painfully satisfying.

I felt like a young surgeon in anatomy class dissecting his paintings
into small pieces to understand the intricate design in his brushwork. 


I learned the biggest challenge lies not in technique,
but in capturing the Qi (energy) in a painting.


I was reminded the practice of breath work and being still
continues to be a big part of the pleasure of painting.


'Hello Kitty Kannon, Goddess of Mercy and Wisdom'
24W x 48H" on wood by Martin Hsu.
Corey Helford Gallery, LA. 2019.

- - - - -

[ Nature Called. I Answered. ]


"Respond to every call that excites your spirit." - Rumi

Prophecy of Nature was an important exhibition for me as a traditionalist
and naturalist making art in the contemporary world.


I created delicate paintings of urban wildlife with indigenous plants
to examine the precarious future of the natural world by
showing her beauty, wisdom, and delights. 


I hope to make Sir David Attenborough proud.


Prophecy of Nature, new works by Martin Hsu.
Luna Rienne Gallery, SF. 2019.

- - - - -

[ Mission Loving-Kindness ]


"Whatever lifts the corners of your mouth, trust that." - Rumi

My ongoing mission to unleash the power of loving-kindness onto humanity
through art gave birth to Metta, a small book with a big heart.


An intimate collection of wisdom by Rumi and artwork by Martin Hsu.

Let's inspire compassion and talk about kindness, shall we?



- - - - -

[ Asian-American Pride ]


"We carry inside us the wonders we seek outside us." - Rumi

In 2019, Dragon Boy and I had the honor of being featured as
representatives in the arts in the Asian-American community-

including the Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month
celebration, the office of CA Senator Scott Weiner, and at the
annual Asian Pacific Fund silent auction gala.


Dragon Boy and I are tremendously proud to be recognized!

- - - - -

[ Do The Art Hustle ]


"Shine like the whole universe is yours." - Rumi

San Diego, Seattle, Denver, New York, SF, LA
are just a few places I traveled to to set up shop in 2019. 


Including conventions, pop-up shops, book signings,
and a month-long Artist In Residence at Disney's
WonderGround Gallery by Disneyland.


15 years of exhibiting at conventions feels exhausting,
but life-long fans and friends make it all worth it.


- - - - -

[ Wisdom ]


"This moment is all there is." - Rumi

Let's change by exploring the unknown.

Let's nourish happiness by showering it with self-love.

Let's trust our wisdom and grow.

Thank you for sharing this moment with me. 

I look forward to seeing you in 2020.

With love,
Martin

No comments: